Tuesday 13 December 2011

Songs of a teacher


                                                              
I  talk and chalk,
Chalk, what I explain;
Explain from what you know
To that you don’t know.

The trend is the same:
Making notes, marking books.

Like managers, I studied
And have never failed my papers.
But I work...
Work a labourer
By making notes, marking books.

Like a soldier I rise early
Winding up the syllabus or as a master on duty,
Before facing the trend
Of making notes, marking books

Doctors, nurses at the hospital
Ambassadors, ministers at the capital
Meteorologists-who tell us when to expect rainfall
I taught them all.
My wage still so small
Yet the load is the same still:
Making notes, marking books.

‘Love what you do’
Many say.
‘Do what you love’
I pray.
I mark books and make notes- I love.
But the pay!
© ABDULGHANI SHEIKH HASSAN

No comments:

Post a Comment